background

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Another Take on Front Door Wreath-USA Style



With 4th of July quickly approaching I knew I needed to make a new wreath to celebrate the occasion. Unfortunately, the overly creative juices weren't flowing and I had already found this great ribbon at the Dollar Tree so I went with the fall back wreath plan of my Front Door Wreaths. I love the variation for the holiday though and you know the old saying...if it ain't broke don't fix it. ;)

I have included as much of a tutorial as I could this time. Hope you enjoy!

Materials:

  • grapevine wreath (or form of your choice)
  • wired patriotic ribbon (Mine is from Dollar Tree but I know Michael's also has a good selection.)
  • USA wooden letters (These are from Hobby Lobby.)
  • blue paint
  • blue glitter
  • mod podge
  • flowers (I got the red, white, and blue bunches from Michael's but only used the red and white.)
  • floral wire
1. I started with painting the letters so that the coats could dry as I worked on other things. I always paint 2-3 coats so the wood doesn't show through.



2. Cut flowers from stems and attach to grapevine wreath. I decided not to use floral wire this time to attach the flowers. Since they are small and the stems were long I was able to securely attach them into the vine of the wreath. Now, for a more permanent wreath I would definitely use wire but this is only going to be up for a couple of weeks so it should hold. (Crossing fingers. ;) )


3. Make a bow. Now, this is the way I make bows but there are many more methods out there so follow your hearts desire on this one. I used the whole roll (9 feet!) to make this bow and I love the size but it is just a bit large. Hehe. I love a big bow though! I also knew there wasn't anything else I really needed this ribbon for so I figured use it up. But you could certainly use less.


Make loops of the ribbon in the width that you want. All you have to do is wrap the ribbon around itself several times.


Fold the ribbon loops in half.


Cut the corners where you folded.


It will look like this after you have cut it.


Unfold the loops and wrap a piece of floral wire around the center to pinch the bow together.


Unfold the loops and pull them in different directions.

4. Attach the bow to the wreath using floral wire and fluff!


5. Add glitter to your letters. This isn't necessary but something about 4th of July screams glitter to me so I went for it! 



Paint on a layer of Mod Podge. 


Sprinkle as much glitter on as you want.

6. Attach the letters to the wreath. I put a dab of hot glue on the back and attach floral wire to it. Let the glue dry and then wrap the wires around the wreath. For more permanent wreaths I also glue the letters directly onto the wreath for added security but again, felt that I could do without this time.


7. Hang and admire. 


And thank God and the men and women who serve our country for our freedom. 

Happy Independence Day!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the neat ideas on bow making also. Very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your idea of hot gluing wire to the back of your letters will come in very handy indeed for securing other awkward embellishments. There are things I would've used on wreaths and garlands but was at a loss as to how to attach them.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice idea about decorating front door of house.. it's easy to make and not need to spend much money & hours on it. Thank you for sharing publicly.

    Wooden Letters

    ReplyDelete