background

Monday, August 9, 2010

Back to School

So today was the official first day back to school. The kids don't come until Wednesday but we had faculty meetings and such today. Let me just say, I am EXHAUSTED! Wow! I haven't set an alarm for before 8:00 all summer...this morning it was 5:30 and it definitely came early! Especially since I went to bed at my usual summer time. This night owl does not like going to bed early or getting up. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to go to bed early. I'm doing anything I can right now to not take a nap! :)

I'm looking forward to the kids coming on Wednesday and meeting my new little kiddos. We had open house last week but it's such a whirlwind with all the kids and parents at the same time. It'll be nice to just have the kids and start to get to know them. Our superintdent today spoke about the importance of relationships since without them we can't really accomplish anything else. One of my goals for this year is to do a better job building relationships with students and helping them to be excited about coming to school each day.

At open house I had one of those, "this is why I became a teacher" moments. I had a student last year who was pretty tough to build a relationship with and I never knew if he was having a good year or if I was making any kind of impact. But, at open house he stopped by my room just to say hi. I know that's not really a big deal but for him it's not easy to do that and it just made me feel like he must have had a decent year and enjoyed 4th grade. It's the little things that make the difference in this profession.

Since school is starting soon hopefully I'll have some funny and wonderful stories to share for the "teach" part of my blog.

And I've been working on lots of painted signs for some classroom and baby room doors. I'll try to have those pictures up this week.

Here's to the first week of school. Hopefully I'll survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment